Monday, November 14, 2016

Weekly Challenge #293

Well, it's Monday!

Things have been a bit of a struggle for me this week.  I have not been in my right head, mentally, and that's okay.  My anxiety has been rearing it's ugly head - and so i have been giving my body and soul what it needs.... lots of quiet reading, some healing art, mind numbing television - and a much needed beer feuled Earth Wind and Fire dance party with my hubs late thursday night.

Artoo has been sick this weekend, and so that always adds an edge to things as well.  We're on high alert and no one is sleeping well, and people are cranky.

and so sometimes it's quite challenging, for me, to sit down and open up my computer, and write the weekly post.  But, sometimes - just like going to the gym, the hardest part is showing up.  so. here i am.
A beautiful November sunrise
 Artoo and I got to go to the zoo this week with his class field trip - and how neat is this? We got to pet Georgia, the Porcupine.  She was found, as a baby, on the side of a Saskatchewan highway, and taken home where she lived with a family as a pet for about a year before she was turned over to the zoo by the Conservation Officers in the province.

brave kiddo
So Georgia is a very social animal and is used to humans and being touched by humans.  her protective quills are actually quite far down, past her guard hairs and soft fur.  She basically was happy as a clam as long as she could nom on some lettuce.

Elisa, i thought of you. 
Thursday night my dear hubs asked if he could bring me anything on his way home from work on Thursday and i jokingly said "Yes, beer please" - a few minutes later he came home with Newcastle Brown Ale, which made me remember fondly my drinking pals from CanTangle last summer.

Sometimes all you need is Earth Wind and Fire
 We put the kids to bed and hung out together.  I told B-rad to put some FUN music on the record player, and the result was the best drinking/dance party ever.  It was amazing, one of my funnest nights in a while, and exactly what i needed in my Self-Care regimen this week.

Friday was a holiday in Canada, as we celebrated Remembrance Day.  Chewie has been really interested in Remembrance Day this year - and so we spent a good deal of the morning talking about the 2nd World War and what it was about and how it ended on Nov 11,
My Great Grandfather Joseph Horne fought at Vimy Ridge in WWI 
 and then we talked about trenches, and the first world war, and the American Civil War, and the war for independence.  We upheld our yearly tradition of listening to the Soldier side of Corb Lund's Horse Soldier album.  I'm not a country music fan - but i enjoy this album.  And on the LP the Soldier side ends in Taps, so B-rad did the math of each song and calculated it backwards so that we started the album in time for Taps to play at 11:11 - where we had a minute of silence.  It was a good parenting moment, to teach our boys about respect for those who fought for us.

In the afternoon we took advantage of the weather and went for a walk around the block - and marveled that it was November and still +15C/60F  - a rare treat for Saskatchewan.
wait for me, dad!
 Artoo started to get sick on Friday and so Saturday and Sunday were spent pretty relaxed and chilled.  He's still sick, and the boys don't have school today, so we'll see how the rest of the week goes.

Weekly Challenge #293: "Keeko, you know!"
Y'know, i'm kind of surprised that i haven't had a dedicated challenge for this tangle, as it's one of my very favourites. (Step outs can be found HERE)  Keeko is one of the tangles i teach in every 101 class, and it was the tangle that gave me my first 'zen' moment while tangling.  It's a go-to for me, and i find it very relaxing.


Back when i was in University, (I was a Voice Major - hence The Diva) my voice teacher had me swim laps to increase my lung strength.  And while i was swimming i would count my strokes: 1,2,3, BREATHE, 1,2,3, BREATHE and before i knew it, i was all zoned out in a swimming meditation.  Well, when i tangle keeko - i do the same thing as i draw my lines.

1,2,3, BREATHE

This week, see if you can find some zen in your keeko!  It's not a monotangle challenge, but you're welcome to make yours a monotangle, as i have.

Have a great week

And if you're on the Zentangle Mosaic App or Instagram - i'm @iamthediva - come on by and follow me, and i'm going to be using hashtags on the app for each of my weekly challenges.  So if you're game - use the hashtag #DC293(Diva Challenge #293) for your tile this week!  You can also search in the app for people's contributions to the challenge by clicking on the hashtag from inside the app, or using the search function.  

If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 

17 comments:

  1. Poor you and poor Artoo, I van just hope both of you will recover soon. I like this, very simple and zen, Keeko and especially after last week I LOVE the simpleness of this weeks challenge. Take care!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you and Artoo are feeling better. Does he feel well enough to do Zentangle? BTW, it wasn't World War II that ended on November 11th.The Armistice that ended World War One was effective at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. World War 2 ended in August of 1945.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you are in a funk. Good to take care of yourself now and then. I hope you and Artoo are back to normal quickly. Your Keeko is so perfectly done. I would never have the patience to do it so carefully LOL! And, I would love to pet a porcupine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys go on such cool field trips! Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Keeko tile. Thank you for using that as your challenge this week. Perfect for my state of mind. I felt better after I finished my tile. :-)

    Sounds like you are doing the perfect thing for your state of mind too. I hope Artoo gets well very fast. Get in some laughter and you'll all feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Laura for this pleasant peaceful challenge and I really hope that everyone will be well very soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this challenge Laura. It's just what I needed. I hope things get better for you all this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't been doing the challenges for a while, and I can't believe how much your boys have grown! It's been so much fun to see them change over the years.

    I love going back to basic tangles like Keeko. It really does have such a zen quality when I'm drawing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It truly has been an awful, stressful, depressing week - and having sickness on top of it totally sucks. Hope your little guy is feeling better soon. Oh, and thank you for the challenge - not just this week, but every time you show up when you really didn't feel it. You are appreciated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my first Zentangle post! I have been practicing Zentangle for about 5 years on my own, but am now getting involved in the community. Am taking the CZT Seminar #29 in June. So exciting!! Love having a weekly challenge to give me direction when I am feeling uninspired. Helps get the juices flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you and Artoo feel better soon. I love reading about you and your lovely family and also really appreciate your weekly challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you feel Chewie is up to this, it might be of interest. An image of a recording of 11 November 1918, taken on the actual day. You can see when it hit 11am. Whether you let him read the accompanying text is up to you. You may both like to follow the link above the image to read more about how they recorded the activity on the front line. http://edermine.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/anzac-stories-what-price-armistice.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for that wonderful challenge. I didn't like Keeko very much before but this time I found it really relaxing to tangle it :-)
    I hope you all are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry you've had a bad week; I know only too well what that's like. I hope everything improves this week.
    I haven't used Keeko much; but I must say, after doing this challenge, I will probably use it more often. It really is a very easy, relaxing tangle; as others have said.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That bottle of Newcastle Brown brings back memories of my student days, slightly blurred memories, i must admit, but thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!